Pages

Wednesday 27 November 2019

Reading Task #7

Kia ora everybody, welcome to my blog.
This time I am going to talk to you about one of my reading tasks for this term.
Our goal was:
How can we use a range of strategies, such as inferring, to work out more complex words?
Here is my follow up:

How to make inferences
Read the excerpts and write your inferences in the box below.
Think about . . .
Who the character might be (old, young, sporty, brainy etc)
What kind of person the character is (kind, thoughtful, nasty, selfish, etc)
How the character is feeling at that moment and why
Where and when this action is taking place
Tom clenched his fists until the knuckles were white. He sighed deeply, stood up and
stormed toward the door without saying another word. He opened the door and
slammed it behind him. His ten teammates sat staring at each other in stunned silence.
I feel like something tragic may have happened to Tom during the past of this story that
made him mad but now he is trying to calm himself down and stop himself from doing
something nasty. I think he withheld his anger because he didn’t want to make it a big deal
and instead walked out of the room. I feel like he was the so called leader of the pack and his
teammates feel too intimidated by him to talk. He also could have just lost his game or he
may have even just been put as a reserve and again he is trying to withhold his anger.
Hannah’s eyes grew as big as saucers and she began to clap her tiny hands together.
As soon as the present was within reach, she grabbed it and began ripping off the
paper. She was giggling and squealing with delight. 
I think that in the past of this story that Hannah was desperate to have something or buy
something and now she got a present that she thinks is shaped as what she wanted.
It could be her birthday, it could be Christmas or even she may have just had done something
that was extraordinary and gotten a reward.
Fred hobbled toward the counter. He reached into his pocket and with a shaking
hand pulled out his old leather wallet. As he got his money out, he noticed the picture
of his wife Molly. All of a sudden his eyes became sad and after paying for his
chocolate he quickly put his wallet back into his pocket. Thanking the shop assistant
he left the shop and headed home for a lonely night in front of the television.
I think that his wife may have passed away in the past and now he is missing her. Or another
idea is that he may have just gone  through a divorce or something sad like that. He seems
like he is an old man because they said he hobbled over to the counter. I think the setting is in
a dairy. He also would have been feeling very sad at the time because they said his eyes
became sad.

What do these stories make you think about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.